Australian Chang Jiang Forum

If you would like to share any information or would like further information about the modifications that are on my website please feel free to post a message.

Australian Chang Jiang Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Chang Jiang

A recently built CJ750 will NOT come within a bull's roar of meeting the ADRs.

I am currently importing one to be registered in Queensland. To be able to do it, I have purchased a 1967 model which is currently being re-built for me in Beijing. This makes for many fewer ADR's that have to be met before I can import it.

I have spent most of a year trying to ascertain exactly what is required to be able to do it.

Some of the issues are:

You MUST have an import approval issued specifically for your bike by DOTARS before you import it, or it is required by law to be crushed by customs at your expense.
If it is more than 15 years old, an ADR compliance plate is not required, but it must meet all requirements for its year of manufacture in the state where it is to be registered.
Headlight must dip to the left, not to the right.
Mufflers and exhaust system need to be legal both for emmissions and sound pollution. As supplied, a CJ cannot pass either of these tests.
Hi-beam indicator required.
Neutral gear indicator required.
Turning signal indicator required.
Rear number plate light must be added.
Brake lights and switches need to be added - depending on year of manufacture this may apply to back brake only or to both front and back brakes.
If sidecar is fitted, a parking brake must be added.
Reversing light must be added after a certain year of manufacture.
Fore-and-aft front number plate brackets must be removed.
For Queensland, LHD (sidecar on the right) is only allowed if the bike is more than thirty years old ... for other states you will need to check.
A new bike from Dong Tang has to pass a braking test to get its roadworthiness certificate for registration ... as supplied, a CJ is incapable of passing that test.

I am writing this list off the top of my head ... there are therefore probably a few other requirements I have left off.

It probably depends to a certain extent on the person who issues the roadworthiness certificate for registration purposes where you are registering it.

For example, I am not fitting a reversing light and am hoping that the officer who inspects it for registration will not realise that it has a reverse gear.

Be very careful that you understand that for bikes purchased from most Chinese dealers, you will need to take care of some or all of the above modifications at your own expense after you receive the bike in Australia.

Be very aware also that quality control in China is not comparable to what we have come to expect in Australia, so that a brand new bike may well have such extra features as leaky head gaskets, leaking oil seals here and there, inlet and/or exhaust valves out of adjustment, points out of adjustment, dirt in the petrol lines or carburettors, etc., etc., etc.

The purchase price for my bike was USD$2,400 but I expect to have no change left out of AUD$5,000 when I eventually get my bike to Queensland and get it registered.

Do not purchase a CJ unless you enjoy getting your hands greasy by doing lots of mechanical maintenance yourself.

I hope the above may be helpful in making your decision.

Re: Re: Re: Chang Jiang

Thankyou all for your responses.

Thanks particularly for the ADR information. It gives a lot to think about.

I will continue to look into it.

Ryan

importing, not a minefield

Ah at last I found a place where I probably will not be considered insane.. I like The CJ ..After a lifetime repairing and selling bikes it takes a lot to get me interested. In CJ I am interested... I missed one in Sydney by a week or so... I have been corresponding with a nice chap in China that has totally rebuilt MIM 750 SV solos for $2200us. He uses the best engines all renewed with "proper" bearings right through the bike, put together with S/S and nylocs where needed. 4 speed box no reverse and the "high speed" gear ratio in the back. the point of the letter is, I have imported hundreds of bikes, Old bike from spain , italy and holland. it's no big deal, there are a number of hoops that you have to jump through. get a receipt with the Date of Manufacture written on it, Gerald from China will attach a manufacturers plate with a construction date on it. I suggest 1976....get the import doc as written earlier, $50 no problemo, get an agent to do the customs/ ministry of agriculture (John Clark did all mine) Eltham, Vic. once home do the mods, ie. headlamp unit, flasher indicator,(might need an electronic flasher can)high beam indicator, forget neutral light.stop light on rear (1976!)number plate light, 2 mirrors,Get RWC. should not be a problem, if it is, see me after, sound will be tested,( 102decibels I believe) just jam the exhaust full of wire wool and tighten tappets right up. Get the name and address of a Certified light vehicle inspection engineer from Vic Roads, I have his name somewhere, he will ok the vehicle, and charge you about $250.00 for a cert. book in at Vic roads and ride away..........Slowly, slowly.....if I can help I will. geoff.

Re: Re: Chang Jiang

the guy to talk to appears to be Gerald. I have fotos if you wish......just ask. gardebledg@yahoo.com as I said before, MIM solo totally restored, $2200us, what a bargain. geoff