Australian Chang Jiang Forum

If you would like to share any information or would like further information about the modifications that are on my website please feel free to post a message.

Australian Chang Jiang Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: importing sidecar outfit

Over a decade ago I built a homemade sidecar for a 79 Triumph and registered it in NSW.
It actualy looked pretty dam good with the paint scheme matching the bike.
This one had suspension and a boot in the chair too.

What was required then as the minimum for rego was;
A minimum of three anchor points between the bike and sidecar in a triangulated configuration.
A white light facing forwrd mounted on the sidecar guard not exceeding 7 watts.
A mudflap on the rear of the sidecar guard and a red reflector facing toward the rear.
Sufficient ground clearence so that when all tyres are flat and the suspension fully compressed under load no part of the frame or sidecar chassis contacts the ground.
A hand brake that locks a wheel (not on the sidecar) so that the outfit cannot roll forward or backward.

Check the ADRs because they may have altered since then but it is reasonably unlikely that they have.

You might get a more accurate response to all your other questions if you go to your local motor registry. If you live in Sydney, go to the main RTA location in Rosebury and have a chat/arguement with the public servants there.

When I was making my second outfit I copped a lot of grief from their mechanical engineering department up to the point where I put together a letter of complaint naming the mongrels who gave me hell and gave it to the shadow minister of transport.
He tabled the letter in the NSW parliment and the public servants that were being deliberatly obstructive had their knuckles rapped ... or so I'm told.
Those *******s have no vision. A center hub steering outfit was a car as far as they were concerned and it could not be registered on the road because it lacked creature comforts such as a heater demister for the windshield. Or because it lacked a windshield there were no windscreen wipers. ...... Therefore it cannot be registered.

What bloody windshield? ..... Its a friggen motorbike!
There were other ridiculous areas that it could not possably conform to that they threw up as arguements too.
It was clear to me that their sole purpose and directive from the RTA management was to discourage any inovation by privateers.

Dropping a BMW into a CJ isn't too difficult but if I were you, I'd go do my homework first before shelling out my hard earned cash.
My center-hub never saw the light of day because of the problems I encountered and over the years some bits have been sold off. Others like the brand new 13" mags with low profile tyres are sitting in storage and may never get to be used on a roadworthy project. .... What a terrible waste of time, money and effort.

Re: importing sidecar outfit

Hi John,

As my web page on importing says, I had a difficult time of regeresting my Left-hand drive Chang in Australia. And now I'm not even sure if it could be done again as all States seem to be moving towards 'banning' left-hand drive motor vehicles not just bikes. As per the advise given in both my web page and the other reply to your post, please study the latest ADR regulations, I do not believe that you should have any problems if you are trying to register a right-hand drive Chang Jiang. Check if the 15 year old rule still applies and if so then you will require the paperwork fron China to state the year of manufacture is 1990 or older. From my experiene of the Chang there is no way to get the brakes to meet todays requiremnets for ADR approval so the 15 year rule will help to get around this. Onther than that you will have to remove all indicators from the bike, unless you are going to fit an indicator lamp to the sidecar wheel fender. Apply a few reflectors and ensure that the headlight dips to the left. I used a headlamp from a Nissan Prado and drilled the back to fit a parking light.

Also for more assistance pls check out these web forums that have lots of traffic from Chang Jiang fanatics!

South Africa - http://www.cj750.com/index.htm

Everyone in the world - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/thechangjiangexperience/messages/

Good luck and regards
Chris.