Australian Chang Jiang Forum

If you would like to share any information or would like further information about the modifications that are on my website please feel free to post a message.

Australian Chang Jiang Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bosch RE55 Regulator & Ingrams 9692 Rectifier

I actually installed the RE55 many months ago when writing the web article, it worked flawlessly until recently when the charge light remained on. I played around without much success with the alternator then decided to follow the instructions from the link to the Guzzi electrical site, however I found that link is now dead. I then went to the local electrical auto shop and purchased a similar regulator to the Ingrams one. I studied the instructions that i had previously downloaded from the Guzzi site before the link was dead and disagreed with one point there, where the wire from the centre of the alternator windings was connected to the earth plate of the rectifier. This can not be correct as the centre wire outputs around 17VAC (alternating current) therefore if you ground it out there will be a short for half the number of cycles.

Now assuming that you just installed the Ingrams rectifier straight out of the box the positive tails from the Diodes will be pointing towards the mounting plate of the bike....right? OK let me tell you what i did.....

1) Purchase a suitable 9 diode rectifier.

2) Loosen and remove the centre bolt through the rectifier pack. Then turn the mounting screw around such that the three diode "tails" are facing away from the frame mounting plate when it has been fitted to the frame mount. The positive plate is the centre plate on the rectifier that i purchased, with the negative plate being the one at the opposite end of the mounting screw out of the box, but after turning the bolt around as above it then becomes the one nearest to the frame.

3) Solder a male spade terminal on to each of the three Diode tails and bend them at right angles.

4) Mount the new rectifier pack to the mounting plate under the seat (I actually swapped the positions of the regulator with the original rectifier as this aided the wiring lengths).

5) Connect the three main wires from the alternator to the three diode tails with the new male spades fitted.

6) Connect the Main battery charging wire to the centre plate of the rectifier, there are the large copper spades that come from the centre plate, but as to use these would have required further modification, I simply used one of the spades at the edge of the centre plate itself.

7) Connect the charge warning lamp wire to the top plate.

8) Connect the wire from the Regulator to the top plate also.

9) Now the wire from the centre windings of the Alternator. It outputs around 15-17VAC and the Guzzi article said connect it to the ground plate......Can not be, I think. I studied the original CJ Regulator and note that this wire is connected to an isolated circuit of the regulator board and then to the positive and negative metal rails via two Diodes. Simple really, this extra wire feeds both negative and positive current to the respective rectifier rails via the Diodes. So what to do.......I simple unsoldered the original diodes from the old Chang Rectifier then made up a simple two wire loom with new red and black wires. Solder the diodes to the wires ENSURING the correct directions of the Diodes are used as per the way you found them before removing from the original rectifier. Solder two female spade terminals on to each of the wire free ends, then solder a male spade terminal to the other two ends of the Diodes. Connect the wire from the centre of the alternator windings to the single male terminal at one end of your Diodes, and connect each of the female spades to the correct positive and negative plates respectively.

Your done, if you got your + and - correct your bike wont go up in flames!!

I ran my bike for some time since the upgrade and only find that the plates of the rectifier get slightly warm to the touch, nothing to make you pull your fingers away! Charging around 13.5 Volts consistently and the charging light is barely on at idle.

Regards
Chris

Re: Re: Bosch RE55 Regulator & Ingrams 9692 Rectifier

Thanks for your article Chris.
On the Ingrams unit there is just enough clearance, once the tails are bent at right anglesto mount the unit.I soldered 3 wires to these tails , with heat shrink tubing. I then soldered connecters to each wire and installed them to a three wire plastic connector. If I need to remove the unit it is easy to uncouple the connector.
After writing my message I took my bike back to the Auto Electrician and he assured me that my connections were correct now. However I have not replaced the plastic cover over the units as I am keeping a watchful eye on everything. The plates do not get hot like they did before, only warm. I will keep monitoring the rectifier and if I have any more trouble I will extract 2 diodes from my old board and do what you have done.
If you look up google and enter "Ingram 9692" there is an article on the RE55 and 9692...
1st item

Regards David