Australian Chang Jiang Forum

If you would like to share any information or would like further information about the modifications that are on my website please feel free to post a message.

Australian Chang Jiang Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CJ Final drive unit problems

Yesterday, with a bunch of members at the OzCruisers.com Maintenance Day which was held at Strathpine, we pulled the rear wheel, rear suspension, final drive unit and shaft drive out of my CJ outfit.
It is interesting that there was a lot of damage outside as well as
inside the rear drive unit. Numbers in [square brackets] refer to the attached drawing of the final drive assembly. The cotter pin [49] had sheared off and presumably been destroyed amongst the universal joint and the nut [50]was badly worn from rubbing on the casing and the "gear set screw" [48] was partly ground down and badly bent. The "sealing leather cup" [46] had been badly gouged by broken bits of the set screw, nut and cotter pin and oil had been leaking out onto the road and all over the back wheel.
There had been no sign of an oil leak until the day when the breakdown
occurred. So I wonder whether the damage outside the drive unit had
something to do with the stripping of the gears on the inside ... what
do you all think?
Inside the final drive unit, every tooth on the driving gear [39] was
damaged with one section of a few teeth almost missing. The driven
gear [10] is also damaged on almost all teeth as well. There was a large
amount of metal fragments in the final drive, some of which were two
or three mm across; many of these were obviously missing portions of
teeth from the two damaged gears.
I got online and ordered the six new parts I require and the factory e-mailed me back last night that they hope to be able to despatch the parts on Tuesday, as Monday is unfortunately China's National Day and everything is closed for the holidays.
Trust me to pull it to bits on National Day weekend!
So I'm praising the Lord and praying that all goes well and that I should be able to rebuild it in a week or three.
We learned that all threads on parts associated with the drive shaft are left hand threaded! It's logical when you stop to think about it, but it took us a while to figure it out!

%%bbCodeItem_1%%