Australian Chang Jiang Forum

If you would like to share any information or would like further information about the modifications that are on my website please feel free to post a message.

Australian Chang Jiang Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CJ750 reliability mods

Hi Chris,

What state are you in? you could e-mail me if you do not want to share that info on the board.

Well I suppose everyone has had different experiences of buying, Importing and owning a Chang Jiang motor cycle. My experiences are from long ago back in 2000. On the reliability of the bike i have to say that after a few teething problems were sorted out I could never complain about my bike. IT is a side valve and the one that i would recommend for that "authentic" look. As standard you could expect problems with fuel supply due to vaporisation at the Carbs. Lumpy idle mostly due to the above when hot, plus carbs not correctly balanced and also timing due to contact breaker bounce.
I dealt with all these issues and detailed the work on my website that you no doubt already read. However today there are conversion kits for the charging system and electronic ignition system all in one unit.....looks very nice. Link is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CJ750-Electronic-Ignition-System-/231032895132?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35caa2369c&vxp=mtr

On the carb front I replaced my original carbs with BMW carbs (see web page for all the details nd drawings for the carb stubs).
The charging system can leave a little to be desired and eventually everyone has battery charging issues. Again the all in one kit (Linked above) looks like the way to go as it replaced the rotor and magneto, voltage stabaliser and voltage regulator with electronic items. all "under the hood" so not noticeable to the outside looker.

Brakes are feeble at best and scary at least all the time until you get used to riding a Change and using engine breaking.....forget any form of emergency stop......it just is not going to happen, believe me. Best standard option is to have all brake shoes relined with Australia standard brake linings and as "Oz" said now the Imports are looking for Asbestos free linings of brakes and clutch it would seem best approach to not have these supplied on the bike but bagged separately so you do not have any linings hidden away insde the brake drums or gearbox.......means you have to get the loose items re ligned and then fitted in Australia.

For the next non standard modification to the brakes you could fit a front Disc brake (http://www.changjiang750sidecar.com/partshtml/01-0028.html), add a side car braking system and now i see they have a rear disc brake system. But my opinion of these are they look terrible! I'm going to investigate if it is possible to fit internal brake cylinders and a descreet hydraulic master cylinder in some way to get more efficiency without deviating too much from a standard look. (a project for later).

http://www.changjiang750sidecar.com/all-parts-list-001.html this site has many accessories for the Chang Jiang and is the one that "Oz" mentioned for ordering a bike I think....

So really the Custom modifications are many so you need to look and choose what you think you want, the ones above are my "essential" ones (Carging, electronic ignition, replacement carbs, upgrading brake shoe linings).

Some others:
Deep oil sump pan
High output oil pump
High quality pistons & Ring set(Alloy with Ceramic coatings)
International enging and wheel bearing set
Stainless steel bolt set
Stainless steel wheel spokes
Re chrome all part
Blast and powder coat frame
Repaint Tank, fenders and mud guards.
the list goes on.............

To do all the jobs would cost you a small fortune, better to get a standard Side valve bike and then do the customising yourself.

Regards
Chris A.