Australian Chang Jiang Forum

If you would like to share any information or would like further information about the modifications that are on my website please feel free to post a message.

Australian Chang Jiang Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sidecar wheel removal problem. Help!!!!

I have been enjoying my new cj750 here in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. I have had a weird noise coming from the sidecar wheel, and after seeing the wheel bearing nut loosening itself, I went to change over to the spare. After removal of cotter pin, and the nut, the wheel will not come off. I removed the wheel bearing nut and removed what was left of one of the wheel bearings, and washer, I still cannot get the wheel off. Do I need to take off the whole axle assembly or is there a trick I'm missing?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Email or Facebook me please!

Re: Sidecar wheel removal problem. Help!!!!

Hi Jason,

Yes i had a similar situation on my unit a few years ago. The problem is that the wheel bearing has no doubt seized on to the wheel axle shaft. i think that i got behind the wheel and used both legs and feet one either side of the wheel and worked it off by kicking from one side to the other. Eventually the wheel came off.

Whats likely to happen is either the bearing will eventually come off from the shaft or if really seized on then the bearing will break up and the inner bearing ball race will remain on the shaft but the outer part of the bearing and wheel hub will separate and come off in that way.

All the above failing, then you have no option but to remove the wheel hub and take it to a workshop that has a mechanical press to use some mechanical force.

P.S. if working under your bike, please ensure that you have it properly supported so that you do not harm yourself with the bike falling on top of you!

Good Luck
Chris.

Re: Sidecar wheel removal problem. Help!!!!

Hi. just wondering if you know if/where I am able to purchase one off these machines
Cheers Ed. mob 0409 097210