CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM

Use this message board to communicate with fellow Casa Ybel owners!
Please do not list weeks for sale or rent on this board.
Use the website database for listing purposes.

CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Elevators for Casa Ybel?

Carl,

This issue has come up before - though I cannot remember the details. Have you given any thought to the climate and the damage the salt air will do to mechanical systems? While the initial cost may be reasonable, the maintenance will be outrageous. Downtime will result increasing frustration.

I sympathize with the lack of access for the elderly beacuse I hope to be vacationing at Casa Ybel when I'm 82, but we can cure the defect. It will just be too expensive.

I feel like Casa Ybel would look like a senior citizen rest home with elevators everywhere. I love Casa Ybel and feel like the stairs are my exercise and when I get in my 80's, I'll have my husband carry me up the stairs.

The resort was never designed to include elevators, and to add them now would completely change the charateristic of the buildings - quite apart from the cost.

It was a good idea to submit for consideration, but I would not be able to support it.

In any case, where people are finding difficulty carrying cases up to the units due to age or infirmity, you can always ask a porter to assist.

The sad part is that you are weighing "ruining the character" of a building versus accessibility, not only for older folks, but for disabled people like myself (time share owner for 20 years).

We have ended up renting out our Casa Ybel unit most years and going to the resorts with elevators due to accessibility issues.

Granted, no elevators reduces small children at the resort as well as us disabled folks.

Admittedly it is a very difficult call. The problem is that the design and structure of these buildings were never meant for lifts (as we call them), and to add them now would be a complete change and massive disruption - quite apart from the expense, which just would not be warranted.

Modern buildings would have those facilities if factored in at the outset - but not necessarily.