We want this forum to be a place where everyone can feel comfortable and be welcome. We want this to be a place for people to ask questions and get answers regarding emu meat and emu by-products like the oil.

We also run a Yahoo group for emu farmers to discuss husbandry issues.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/emufarm 

We like to think that everyone knows the proper way to act on a public message board, but just in case we will give a few pointers for our posters to go by.

1. Absolutely no personal attacks will be tolerated.

2. The world would be a very dull place if everyone agreed with everyone else, but when you disagree here, please give your differing opinion with respect. Rude or abusive posts will be deleted.

3. If you feel that you can not express your differing opinion without being rude or hurtful things, then please save me some time by using the SOB rule: Scroll on By. 4. Please invite your friends to join us and if possible, provide a link to our site on your personal web page. (We would really appreciate it!)

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: hatching eggs

Emu eggs are roughly 4" x 6" in diameter, so you would need something big enough to handle them. The incubator needs to have a good fresh air exchange. We are currently using several GQFs, designed especially for emus, but you could utilize a regular GQF with some modifications. The most common incubation setting is 97.5 degrees F, with a 30% relative humidity. Since emu eggs can not be candled the conventional way, you need to be especially careful with the humidity level. Eggs should be rotated 180 degrees (one way, then back the other) at least three time daily. The incubation period is 50 days, give or take a day or two. Good luck.
Myra....just stumbled in on this site. Hope you don't mind my adding my two cents!