We want this forum to be a place where everyone can feel comfortable and be welcome. We want this to be a place for people to ask questions and get answers regarding emu meat and emu by-products like the oil.

We also run a Yahoo group for emu farmers to discuss husbandry issues.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/emufarm 

We like to think that everyone knows the proper way to act on a public message board, but just in case we will give a few pointers for our posters to go by.

1. Absolutely no personal attacks will be tolerated.

2. The world would be a very dull place if everyone agreed with everyone else, but when you disagree here, please give your differing opinion with respect. Rude or abusive posts will be deleted.

3. If you feel that you can not express your differing opinion without being rude or hurtful things, then please save me some time by using the SOB rule: Scroll on By. 4. Please invite your friends to join us and if possible, provide a link to our site on your personal web page. (We would really appreciate it!)

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pets

Hello Heidi,

This is my first reply to this message board, and I was reading these posts regarding emus as pets. I am for one extremely glad to see that someone is trying to create a book that would help people, like me, who have acquired an emu or more, and do wish to keep them as pets. I was given an extremely beautiful bird that was found by a woman wandering around her property. Belief was that some very irresponsible person had let several go because the "business" wasn't working for him. Some of the birds were shot and eaten. Mine was a lucky one. I consider this luck was for both of us. Because I would not have gotten to spend time with such a great animal.

As you can probably tell I knew, and to this point know very little about this bird. I am luckily getting a emu food from our feed store so I do feel like I am feeding her well. Being that she was living on cracked corn for about 2 years. BUT! I know nothing about worms, and other problems that can occur from this bird. Over 40 years I have had many dogs, cats, chickens, rabbits, and horses. I have ALWAYS had annual vet checks, and worming schedules, and shots. (My large animal vet doesn't seem to much knowledge in these birds as well, and I am sure he isn't the only one.) I consider myself an extremely responsible pet/animal owner. I DO feel extremely frustrated when I have a situation, like JUST basic emu behavior and keep for its safety, and I can not find information anywhere. When I try to find out how to take care of it all I find is how to cook it, and what to do with the oil.

SO, I greatly appreciate a book offering any practical (pet type) information on emus. Let's face it there are emus as well as many other animals that end up in unfortunate situations I would only hope that people with large hearts take them in. But it would help if we can find more info then where the bird comes from. restriction from this information seems like it would only enhance problems with the birds.

Thanks you Heidi, and let me know when I can buy one. I know this was posted several months ago, but I would like to know if you are still working on the project.

Maria Williams

mer@direcway.com