CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM

Use this message board to communicate with fellow Casa Ybel owners!
Please do not list weeks for sale or rent on this board.
Use the website database for listing purposes.

CASA YBEL OWNER'S FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cheap Furnishings in FGH

Tom, I wasn't there specifically looking for the pool boys to give out towels, just saw people walk up and not give a card or anything and they were given towels (some from the parking lot). I am not there to look for something wrong as I am on vacation enjoying the sun.

I won't even see the new furniture until June, so I'm trying to reserve judgment (though the photos on the front of the Winter newsletter did not exactly thrill me--maybe things didn't photograph as well as they might?)--but what I just can't understand is why we went to a dining room table that only seats 4! There are 5 of us in our family, and two kids are now teenagers...though we eat out a lot we definitely like to have some family meals together in the room...it looks a little small for all of us to sit together, even with a pulled up chair. Not sure why this was done, for units that can sleep 6...sigh. But I'm STILL looking forward to our wonderful vacation...there's no place like Sanibel!

I would like to know from somebody that has been there since the new furnishings, if there are six chairs for the dinner table?

There were 5 chairs for the table, and an identical one for the desk, making 6 total. They all fit OK around the table, but the table functionality was compromised primarily because it was quite narrow. Also, the table legs interfered with legroom for those sitting at the table sides. The setup was somewhat clumsy, but really not all that bad.

I believe the chairs were holdovers while the table was new, but new furniture was being introduced (building G) as we left on January 3.

Greetings,

We are original owners of G213 week 9 and were disappointed with the choice of furniture. Granted I have not seen it yet and unfortunately due to other commitments we will not be able to use our unit this year. I did not like the furniture that this replaced but I understood that after Charley, the important thing was to get back open and at times you have to take what you can get. High praise to those who were able to get CY back open.
The past several years we have extended our CY vacation by staying in the "hotel" units A-E at the west end of CY. The furniture and fitment there is great and reminds me of the original CY. There is light bamboo/rattan furniture with subtle tropical upholstery. The photos on the wall are of old Sanibel and give a real sense of place – you know you’re somewhere special. All this seems to be lost in the recent renovation decisions in FGH.
I have served on art selection committees and know what a thankless job that is and so I can appreciate the difficulty the board faces - trying to please everyone can lead to a blandness that borders on bleak. I don't know how these decisions are made and I guess that if I complain, I should at least try to understand this:
-How are design decisions made? I assume there is a charter. Is this available online?
-What did we pay for the furniture? Is there a breakdown on what we paid for specific items such as chairs, tables, sofas?
-Did we use an interior decorator? Who was that and what did it cost? Are there bids?
Casa Ybel is one of the greatest locations in the world. Anyone who comes here and walks out the door is going to be blown away. We need to make sure they are blown away before they walk out the door.

Respectfully submitted,
Kevin Edwards – 213G Week 9