Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: before & after pictures

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: arrowhead repair

Photobucket

These are some i repaired hal. I still need to get the paint right but its getting better. I found a type of clear coat to give the paint a little shine it was drying pretty dull and didnt look right. Thanks for the info

Josh, your fixes are excellent. The color match can be a nightmare / challenge for anybody's repair
system.
Variables of incandescent, florescent, natural daylight and the wet or dry [ humidity ] of the piece
can be big factors.
I suspect Dr Gomer uses an electronic scanner same as they use in the Home Depot paint dept. I have seen quite a few of
Gomer rehabilitated points and even knowing they were repaired never spotted a hint of color variation.

Your original posted question was about the finish sheen. Have you experimented with mixing flat, matte and gloss clear in the soup before applying ?

Exactly what type of paint do you use [ Acrylic, hobby models, oil, etc ? ]

Brought forward for some people interested in ideas for do it yourself point restoration

Hal is right on!

I've had mixed success using expoxy & mixing in water based paints. It takes lots & lots of practice, for none of the pros will share their trade secrets for obvious reasons. Try Hobby Lobby for your 5 minute epoxy & cheap water base paints.

Hal, I almost have all my materials together. Picked up the chalk and modeling clay last night. I going to get the epoxy and hopefully a dremel tonight. I will keep you posted on my success or failures. A couple questions though, have you had any problems with the epoxy sticking to the modeling clay? Also, when you make the imprint in the modeling clay, that only gives you "flaking" on one side; I guess the other side you have to use the dremel to match the flaking?

Well if you went so far as to pickup the first materials, you must be serious...Here's the last
of the very minutest details, some cover your queries..

Harbor Freight has the Dremel brand equivelent...$19.99 stock number 40457.....DONT BUY the good looking 'rotary tool kit' for $9.99....It's a one speed of about 30,000 RPM....you can hardly hold it when running.

Epoxy does not eat into the clay mold but some sticks to both flint & Epox when removed...I use a tooth brush dipped in mineral spirits ( or turpentine ) to remove, then soapy water to remove oily film.

RG is using the 5 minute epox then painting...to mix and blend in coloring your going to need every minute of the THIRTY MINUTE cure time ( starts to become unworkable in about 9 minutes )

The emory wheel cutoff disc does 94% of the heavy final trim ( using a sidewise action, not like cutting off a piece of pipe ) DONT use the drum sander.

The final flaking pattern is purely hand crafted...Just think " if Dr Golmer can do it...'I' can do it " ( I got a lot of artistic respect for Gomer, look back at his featured icon on the front page....All the largest of his repairs are hand tooled )

Right from day 1 I have used the Lapidary discs for the final finish...its rubber with grit in it. Three different grit sizes. Final finish is critical, I have tried the finest diamond dust bits but they leave minute gouge lines.

Some repairs are very small, the small epoxy quantity needed the more careful you must be with the 50-50 mix ( the last little bit on the mixing surface is NOT usable it doesn't get properly blended. )

To make swirls or different pattern colors, just seperate some mix into a seperate pile and color as
needed.

No matter what the color may be, even translucent, I am continually surprised how much GRAY tone is needed.

Brought forward 11/02/11 for new interest.

I have been busy knapping and trying to heat treat rock and thats a c**** but I think i might have to give the epoxy a run and try and do some more repairs i got a few worth trying

I hate to change the subject, but don't know how to contact you directly.
Joshua, do you have a brother named Danny??? If so I have met you and ridden your horses! I didn't know you were into this arrowhead business. You do very nice work.

Another fixerupper candidate with slight base damage

Photobucket

A little dabbledoya

Photobucket

This old posting brought up to date for screen digger Jacob