Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wyoming Cave...1st day of digging

Thanks Hal, always appreciate your feedback....I definitely need to not overlook the exteriors, its just too tempting to not dig inside with all those flakes showing...im definitely gonna divide my time between the two...one thing i have to change for sure when i go back out is my structure and approach at digging this thing. I was all over the place at first, digging in random corners etc. until i started a somewhat organized lil test hole...gonna have to bring my sifter on this next round for sure...any ideas on how to approach digging this shelter is much appreciated.

I've never personally dug a cave but hope this helps... I spent some time in the ozarks and did alot of hunting there. Alot of caves on the misourri state line and met a lot of locals that collected. One of them engaged in a two hour conversation once about cave digging. He had said one cave he dug in he found nothing but bones, ash and flakes for several days. He didn't know what to think of it until someone that had a better knowledge of it said he was digging in the "trash pile". I guess a pile of bones, flakes, and debri. I'm sure every cave is different though. I dont know how accurate that is but hope it helps. Keep the pics coming and good luck to ya.

thanks digger...thats a great perspective..i was kinda thinking that in the beginning and thats why i started jumping around so much digging test holes and they all turn out the same...im thinkin i otta focus on the entrance and a few feet outside the cave as a real starting point sifting as deep as i can go and keep moving inch by inch to the back of the shelter...it seems logical, a good lil fire in the back of cave reflecting off all the walls would keep it nice and warm all the way to the outside, especially like Hal was sayin on warmer days, and im sure just a fire in there with no top vent would get pretty smokey....We'll see, thanks for the post, every point of view helps.

Dig outside the cave, maybe not right at the entrance but pretty close. I dug a killer shelter and the best stuff was in the flat area around the entrance. Walk out of the cave and look down for a nice chill spot. *****s probably chilled in the cave at night for protection, nice day your out on the lawn cooking and chipping. Good luck

rite on G-town...i appreciate it

cgb
...any ideas on how to approach digging this shelter is much appreciated.

Excellent input from Diggr & G-twn...I like the OUTSIDE best for small caves..
So another thought to expand on your stated next visit. a "trench" is the fastest way to get a look at the possibilites, as narrow as possible, like 15 inches.
AND lastly, be very aware you where the dug dirt goes...Get it well out of the way of possible / probable future digging..

It's gonna be a long snow free digging summer

that'll be my game plan for sure...im gonna try and go back out there tomorrow and see what i can scratch up, will post afterwards for sure, thanks yall... i heard yall are gettin some good rain back down in Texas, bet that flint is a shinning in the sun...........