Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DIGFEST ....'12

I'm in, party of 1 ...SH

im in Party of 1 Eric W.

Go back to the front page and "CLICK ON" the big banner that says "DIGFEST"....There's a world of details in there

Front gate still the same

Photobucket

Camping area ( still OK to camp where you like ) Water hose at ranch house. Portapotties near ranch barn.
Big central campfire depends on wet / dry conditions. Most campers use small gas stoves for cooking ( Except Gilbert who has all electric appliances )

Photobucket

The "christmas tree " mast still stands. Richard usually mows the area just days before the weekend.

Photobucket

Thanks for the info!

Re: DIGFEST 2012 - SEPT 29-30, 2012 ****** X ******

can i help with anything? i brought tables last year might could supply some minor side dishes. pork n beans,salad,chips n dip, wine? lol

Skeeta,
YES
Good offer, we definitely need tables ( many ). I am putting my small one in
the back of the garage today..

Better talk directly to Chef Richard about food.. My thought would be for no "haught cusine" dishes...we're feeding over 100 hot, dirty and voracious
diggers that just want to scarff down some energy and get back to work

Thanks

yep hal thanks for showin me Blackmax last year pictures give that beauty no justice

Update at 9-10-12
All the effort is being put on Fulton Hollow. There will probably be a quarter mile long clean scraped area. Old timers wont recognize it! This view is looking up the road to the house on the R and up FH on the L

Photobucket

Further up in the cut...tempting to think those heavenly rays are pointing to what's at the end of a rainbow

Photobucket

Photobucket

Richard recouperating from knee surgery !

Photobucket

Barefoot Bill now has a new BIG toy ..

Photobucket

the deep hole will be left to just before the DF weekend
This and FH are now designated OFF LIMITS to all til DF. ( No surfacers Pls ! )

Photobucket

Camping area has been mowed...5'8" person for scale

Photobucket

The new banner is up..

Photobucket

I suspect even the dogs remember whats going to happen....More rib bone leftover than they see all the rest of the year

Update for 9 - 17

The "roughing out " at Fulton Hollow is as complete as it need be for now.

Photobucket

This view is looking back from where the top pic was taken.

Just the last 2 days before the DF wkend a deep trench will be run right down the middle. Sort of like uncovering the very bottom of a V shaped gold pan

Photobucket

Now that Barefoot Bill knows how to operate the HUGE backhoe...He has gone BURSERK
This is the creekbank along Bill's camp. Pulled a big area into the dry creek bed. The cameraman is standing right over where 2 yrs ago Ben found the Cache of blade in that wall. This is also open to Digfesters.

Photobucket

The creekbeds are dead dry even though they just had 4 inches of rain the day before.
Only 11 days remaining, at least no major tropical storms are on the WX maps..

Here's a bit of guidance for some digfest people that may not be professional grizzled sunburned hardcore lifelong diggers.

The dirt being removed from 2 large treches and set off to the side is PRIME territory for artifacts as some of it comes from the very deepest part of the trenches. It's already loosened and at ground level.
Just raking seriously raking through is all thats needed. Best tool is the long handled "potato rake " that Home D & Lowes sell..Long strong tines.
Garden rake is better than nothing.

Same rake as above cut off 18inches long is great for closer working but, the long tines should be cut off a bit shorter for better one handed operation.

A medium sized flat blade screw driver ..bent to a " hook "

SURFACERS...A " walking stick " has always been a hikers standard...a good one is a Golf club with the head cut off ( Thrift store $3. )
For those with access to a hand grinder or cut off wheel, leave a bit of the club head with a small barb on it ...now it's a"flint flicker"

Here's a pic of the above described tools

Photobucket

This is a really terrific tool that rivals ( or equals ) the $90. wiggle picks... It's a common 8" flat blade screw driver ( Harbor freight $1.89 )
bent so the flat side is as shown ...Then, every effort should be made to sharpen to a point.. With a LOT of work a hand file will work OR...atop by any auto repair shop ( they are Bound to have a bench grinder )...takes aproximatly one minute to do a good job.
The ribbon on the example shown is just to make it easier to locate when set aside while using another tool.

Photobucket

And here's some comments for the sunburned grizzled "old timers" :

The good level in the early Archaic trench is 7 feet down. Very hard compacted dirt. You probably haven't sharpened your tools since Nixon was in...you would be well advised to get every help possible by resharpening...
A lot of people still use the original " swing picks"...I'm always amazed at the ones I have seen being used...DULL beyond belief...Put a point on it, you wont damage artifacts any more than a blunt tip does.

In the Fullton Hollow trench diggers remember getting the dirt out of the way is always a consideration, shovels not tarps !
The soils in Fulton hollow ( even deep ) are not excessively hard.

Saturday diggers:( the two official digfest only sites are closed til Sunday morning )( including surfacers ).
There is plenty of new trenched / scraped areas at the ever productive Bill's Camp and the hillside adjacent to last year's "Big hole " location.
Maybe even MORE possibilities as Barefoot Bill has been on a rampage since he learned how to operate the new huge backhoe.

Looks like the creeks will be bone dry, probably no boots or bathtub duckies will be needed.

No telling at this date if a burn ban will be in force that weekend ( for camp fire )

At this writing, rain forecasts are minimal, just a nice cool cloud cover...a big turnout is expected, LOTS OF VEHICLES. PARK SMART !...
Leave room for in & out traffic. Fulton hollow has plenty of space but some people may have to park 300 feet from the dig rather than the 100 feet of the first arrivers.

Lunch at the ranch house ( announced by a bull horn off the Queen Mary )
Please leave PLENTY of room around the central area. Good deal is to "nose in " park where possible, leaves access for tailgate sitting with the food and more vehicles can scrunch in.
Expanded parking usually fills the main road in...if convienient, diagonal park with the front wheels in the grass would be good.

Dirt roads are as good as any dirt road could be...Corvette drivers will be OK, Creek crossings may be a bit of loose rocky but very dry.

Closest convienience store is about 20 minutes drive away...( one way )..for things like ice.

Good cell phone reception with ATT...others ?

Sunday lunch break is the usual time for show & tell's. ( bring frames & fossils )...
If your selling, bring a table and set it up right in the main area..

Good GLOVES !!!!!

Great report Hal. Wish we could have the digfest only trenches open saturday but that's ok. Looking forward to it.

Anyone going to be selling wiggle picks this weekend? This is my first tie out and I think I ned to upgrade my trusty rock hammer.

ive got some new diggin tools fabricated im thinkin bout goin to digfest if i do ill bring lots of cool stuff;)