Return to Website

Above & Beyond Hockey

your thoughts on the books, the site, and on the state of the game (and, occasionally, our replies)

Above & Beyond Hockey
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
j
Joe G
Re: Call it what you want ...
I really didn't follow the Ulanov thing. Maybe I'm describing the same situation, but what about this scenerio: A team gets a penalty called against them in regular season OT with less than 2 minutes remaining in the OT. So it's 4 skaters against three. Now you ca...
Views: 181   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 14, 2002 7:13pm
by Joe G
Call it what you want ...
.. but it's more exciting than the old 5 on 5 overtimes. Teams with nothing to lose, with more open ice ... leads to more exciting hockey. I get up for regular season OT today. In years past, you could safely turn off your set. Joe G.
Views: 185   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 14, 2002 7:03pm
by Anonymous
a
Alex
Re: Circus Time
Kind of gauche to post a reply to your own post, but here's the standings as of today if the bonus point did not exist and the divisional ranking doesn't matter... West 1. Det (112) 2. Col (95) 3. SJ (94) 4. Chi (93) 5. LA (89) 6. StL (8 7. Van (87) 8. Ed...
Views: 163   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 11, 2002 2:23pm
by Alex
Re: Playoff maledictions
This just keeps getting better and better... Now that Carolina is in, they have become the last team in the East to sew up a post-season spot yet they are also the first team to clinch their Division title. I think I could win a few ales down at the local beer...
Views: 206   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 11, 2002 1:13pm
by Stu McMurray
a
Alex
Circus Time
I've taken to listening to Dan Russell late at night out here in BC (10-midnight) and he calls the 4-on-4 hockey Bettman's Circus Time, and he calls the points for a loss circus points. I guess what I like about 4-on-4 is that there's actually skating room and not...
Views: 213   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 11, 2002 12:11pm
by Alex
a
Alex
Re: Playoff maledictions
And what's wrong with playing HOCKEY in JULY in ARIZONA or TEXAS? (or in JULY in TORONTO, for that matter)? Yeah, I kind of like the fact that the playoffs actually mean something now, and despite the inherent flaws in the current playoff setup, it's way better...
Views: 164   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 11, 2002 8:21am
by Alex
Re: Re: Re: Re: Penalties during 4 on 4 OT
I gotta disagree. If you do 4 on 4 in overtime, why not do it overtime, and I'm not in favour of screwing around with the game like that. It'd be like pulling an outfielder in extra innings or making it 9 v 9 in the OT of a football game. No other sport changes the m...
Views: 153   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 11, 2002 8:13am
by jeff k.
k
Karl
Playoff maledictions
Too true. Just to underscore this flirtation with absurdity, merely one or two more wins this season by non-Southeast Division Rangers or Sabres, and a win or two less by Carolina, would mean that Carolina had qualified as the third playoff seed despite having fewer...
Views: 193   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 10, 2002 11:51pm
by Karl
k
Karl
Auditory organs
Reggie Dunlop might disagree, but I'd rather hear "Lady of Spain" than most of the ESPN guys. Really, though, OneGoal2002 points out what I think is actually a chronic problem on almost all US hockey broadcasts, network or local -- the damping of arena noise, not ju...
Views: 197   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 10, 2002 11:11pm
by Karl
Re: Playoff predictions?
Looking at the Eastern Conference it's interesting to see that the final playoff spot to be decided is actually for 3rd place. In the NHL's world, this makes sense. Stu --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:Carolina Panthers indeed. Wonder wher...
Views: 189   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 10, 2002 9:05pm
by Stu McMurray
Re: Penalties during 4 on 4 OT
Thanks Doc! I guess that I didn't see the 5th skater. Come to think of it, I didn't see the 5th Beatle either. Hmmm... Stu --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:I saw this game... When Ulanov got the penalty, Leafs got a 5th skater (which is "ab...
Views: 201   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 10, 2002 8:59pm
by Stu McMurray
a
Alex
Re: Re: Re: Penalties during 4 on 4 OT
I could handle the 4-on-4 overtime, but only if you do it in the playoffs too, and there's no extra point for a regular time tie. Make it run-and-gun, but keep the stakes up. I'm half-tempted to check the standings currently, adjusted for OTL points, and see how...
Views: 162   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 10, 2002 4:59pm
by Alex
a
Alex
Re: Playoff predictions?
Carolina Panthers indeed. Wonder where my brain was that day. That's the problem with not having enough sleep. Now it looks like the Canucks are in, and bully for them. They have played incredibly well since the Olympics. And the Canadiens are in. And Washing...
Views: 159   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 10, 2002 4:43pm
by Alex
Re: Re: Pentalties during 4 on 4 OT
One more reason why 4 on 4 is asinine. Here's yet another. I was watching Sabres play somebody recently (Bruins? Devils? Isles?) when Buffalo were still in the playoff hunt. The game went into OT, and with about 90 seconds to go the Sabres' opponents were given a pen...
Views: 172   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 10, 2002 12:26pm
by jeff k.
Re: Pentalties during 4 on 4 OT
I saw this game... When Ulanov got the penalty, Leafs got a 5th skater (which is "above" the limit of 4 in overtime) which made a 5 on 3 as per the rules for two men down in overtime. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:Here's a little Mensa test fo...
Views: 165   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 8, 2002 8:45pm
by Dr.Cliff
Pentalties during 4 on 4 OT
Here's a little Mensa test for you all in respect to the rules for awarding power play opportunities during regular season overtime 4 on 4 hockey. No prizes to be awarded, though I do have an extensive beer cap collection from my earlier years that I may be pursua...
Views: 182   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 7, 2002 9:55pm
by Stu McMurray
YOUR herlp is NEEDED
The Cardiff Devils are one of the UK's finest Ice Hockey teams. Only the season before last, we were runners up in the UK Superleague. Apart from one season, we have never been lower than 3rd !. However, this has been the team's worst season ever. We are currentl...
Views: 152   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 7, 2002 6:28pm
by Devil no 1
a
Alex
Playoff predictions?
This is more a question of which of the on-the-bubble teams you think will make it. I'm thinking that Edmonton will, Montreal will, but Vancouver will fall short. As for the south-of-the-border teams, I don't really want Washington to make it, but I can see them...
Views: 153   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 1, 2002 5:00pm
by Alex
Re: ESPN2 audio stinks
Right on! I'd rather hear the organ than the announcers anyway. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:I was watching the Blues game on ESPN2 tonight and I noticed that after the foghorn you could only faintly hear the Blues go Marching in it always so...
Views: 139   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 29, 2002 2:32pm
by jeff k.
ESPN2 audio stinks
I was watching the Blues game on ESPN2 tonight and I noticed that after the foghorn you could only faintly hear the Blues go Marching in it always sounds loud. I think ESPN blocked it out so the anouncers could be hear easier. It really ticks me as a Blues fan.
Views: 164   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 28, 2002 7:52pm
by one goal 2002 (B...
a
Alex
Re: Re: NHL single game bests so far this season
Possibly the best season out there belonged to Petr Schastlivy, who in the one game he played, was +1, with 1 assist, in only 3:21 before suffering an ACL tear, ending his season. Prorate that out to a regular 15 minute shift, and an 82 game season... we have a pass...
Views: 143   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 27, 2002 8:11am
by Alex
j
jeff k
Re: NHL single game bests so far this season
This is nice. Bet you had to compile these yourself, but obviously it's the kind of thing the league should be putting out on a regular basis. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:Here are the single games best marks in the NHL this season: worst...
Views: 151   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 26, 2002 8:38pm
by jeff k
NHL single game bests so far this season
Here are the single games best marks in the NHL this season: worst plus minus -5 : many best plus minus +6 : Brent Sopel shots: 12: Richard Zednik, Bill Guerin missed shots: 8: Derek Morris number of penalties 8: Peter Worrell, Reed Low penalty...
Last Post: Mar 26, 2002 11:55am
by flyershistory
Re: Equipment's Negative Evolution
Hi Jordan. I couldn't agree with your thesis more, even though I have no actual data to offer you. But over the years, I have read several articles citing actual studies that support your argument. In any case, though, what's happening is obvious: Guys are better...
Views: 179   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 26, 2002 9:01am
by jeff k.
Equipment's Negative Evolution
My name is Jordan Thoms. I am a high school student in Mississauga Ontario. Currently I am in the process of doing my research for my Kinesiology Class project. My project is being done on the negative impact of hockey equipment. Over the past 15 years advan...
Last Post: Mar 24, 2002 7:27pm
by Jordan Thoms
Re: Re: The Russian Ricket
PRECISELY why I think the Bure deal will be a bad one for a Ranger team already knee-deep in f*ckin' a**holes. --G --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:True enough, Sather gave up nothing. He originally thought he'd have to give up York, but found he...
Views: 136   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 21, 2002 6:42am
by Glenn Weir
j
jeff k
Re: i know you know hockey, but
I don't think this guy knows what he's letting himself in for. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:I know you guys know hockey, but the author still seems to believe that his Bills are going to win the Super Bowl. Don't worry, you won't have to wor...
Views: 161   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 20, 2002 9:27pm
by jeff k
i know you know hockey, but
I know you guys know hockey, but the author still seems to believe that his Bills are going to win the Super Bowl. Don't worry, you won't have to worry about spending your money in San Diego next year. Go Cowboys!!!
Views: 194   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 20, 2002 7:07pm
by cowboys fan
a
Alex
Re: Re: The Russian Ricket
On the whole, I have to say most of the trades were unimpressive to me (and frankly, it's disturbing how much Philly gave up for Adam Oates, but at least he's a good player). Thanks Jeff for hunting down and sharing those articles. Saves me some time. If anythin...
Views: 192   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 20, 2002 3:16pm
by Alex
Re: The Russian Ricket
True enough, Sather gave up nothing. He originally thought he'd have to give up York, but found he didn't, then got Poti and Rem Murray for him. Here's the thing. LAST year's Bure was great, LAST year's Poti and Murray were great. This year, none of 'em are as good a...
Views: 879   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 20, 2002 1:25pm
by jeff k.
j
Joe G
Re: Bure
How could the Rangers NOT have made this deal? They gave up nothing. But they will probably still miss the playoffs. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:That's all fine and dandy if Bure is washed up, which he most definitely is NOT. Having said th...
Views: 187   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 19, 2002 7:18pm
by Joe G
Bure
That's all fine and dandy if Bure is washed up, which he most definitely is NOT. Having said that, I agree that Bure is probably not the missing ingredient for the Blueshirts. They need a complete overhaul .......... --G --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Repl...
Views: 204   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 19, 2002 3:01pm
by Glenn Weir
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Indispensible books?
That seems to be Sather's answer to everything. Get the biggest available star. Everything'll work out fine if we just keep recycling other people's stars. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:Speaking of Bure, just what the heck was Sather thinkin...
Views: 199   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 19, 2002 2:40pm
by Iain Fyffe
a
Alex
Re: Re: Re: Re: Indispensible books?
Speaking of Bure, just what the heck was Sather thinking when he made that trade? I can't see Bure being that missing ingredient the Rangers need to get over the hump. -Alex --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:If it brings a smile to your face...
Views: 204   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 19, 2002 12:23pm
by Alex
Re: Re: Re: Indispensible books?
If it brings a smile to your face, I'm a happy man. Thanks for saying that, Alex. Hey, "Pavel Bure" was written by Kerry Banks, by the way. --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Replying to:Well, the Compendium is one of those books which always puts a smile...
Views: 193   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 19, 2002 8:18am
by jeff k.
1 2
Free Forum powered by Bravenet